Over the past few years, I have spent at least 3 months away from my home base of Houston–from one month to three months at a time. In the past, I have made the mistake of packing too many clothes and not enough self-care essentials. This time, I packed the essentials first and filled the gaps with clothes.
I desire to feel even more alive than the sensation of bitter New York winter on my strategically covered skin.
These things allow me to make any space feels like me:
- Books. For this 3 month adventure, I packed: James Kingsland’s Siddhārtha’s Brain, Thich Nhat Hanh’s How to Love, William Rubel’s Bread: A Global History, Eknath Easwaran’s Bhagavad Gita, BKS Iyengar’s Light on Yoga, Selden Rodman’s Conversations with Artists, Kassia St. Clair’s The Secret Lives of Color, Josef Albers’ Interaction of Colors
- a pair of Paul Smith sunglass
- Kishu charcoal water filters
- BKR water bottle, 500ml
- Stasher bags for snacks
- seed sprouting lids for mason jars
- Eco lunchbox for when I pack a lunch
- Hobonichi Techno to catalog daily thoughts and whim
- This is Ground Tech Dopp Kit for my Jackery power bank, cords, Jaybird wireless headphones
- MacBook Pro in space gray with touchbar
- Fujifilm Instax mini 90 with plenty of film
- Cuyana backpack
- Tom Ford Black Dahlia Matte Lip Color
- AESOP Rose Hair & Scalp Moisturizing Masque (hard water and drier climates wrecks my scalp), Calming Shampoo, Camellia Nut Facial Hydrating Cream, Lucent Facial Concentrate
- Tom’s of Maine wholecare toothpaste
- Shiseido: purifying mask, Ibuki gentle cleanser
- L’Occitane Dry Skin Foot Cream
- SK-II facial treatment mask: flying can be dehydrating.
- Burt’s Bees Nourishing Body Oil: that NY winter is long.
- passport: always be ready to go where life takes you.
- Woodlot Palo Santo: ready to fill spaces
- essential oils: this time, lavender from Justine’s trip to Paris
- two pairs of fun socks: ladybugs and rainbows
- a pair of Bensimon tennis shoes
- Scarpa Vapor V rock climbing shoes
- 4th & Heart grass-fed Ghee because healthy fats help preserve cell membrane structure, and vitamins and minerals can penetrate and nourish the body as it passes through the lipid membranes of cells
- GAIA golden milk with tumeric, dates, and herbs
- Sun Potion Ashwagandha
- Finca Tres Robles moringa powder
- Tejas Heritage Farm fresh ginger and tumeric
- bee pollen from htx
- China Rose Congou, tea from Ceci from The Tea Room in Savannah
- Persian tea from Tash
- kefir grains: my economical solution for probiotics
- reusable bags for shopping
- something handmade from Mel Kwan
- tools for pen pal-ing: J.Herbin fountain pen, stamps, envelops, washi tape, PIGMA Micron pens, Caran d’Ache Fix Pencil 884, and paper
- Tzolkin Daily Planner 8 Feb-25 Oct 2018. I’m definitely a blue magnetic monkey and I’ve found my two yellow stars, yellow seed, and blue monkey partner in crime. I am looking for a white dog and red dragon. Know your galactic signature and be aware of the daily energies at Mayankin.com.
- Manduka eKO SuperLite yoga mat
And the most magnetic blue monkey gift of all, a quartz with tourmaline and chlorite inclusions.
Within 24 hours of arriving, I bought a yoga block, unhomogenized grass-fed local milk (to feed my kefir grains), almond milk, bananas, sprouted pumpkin seeds, Hayden Flour Mill rolled oats, Canaan olive oil (sourced from landrace varietals, organic, and fair trade), Seed+Mill tahini (ground in NY), dried white mulberries, and shared a meal at an Ethiopian restaurant with a friend.